Mangini Press Conference Transcript...
buRford
2006-02-21 05:18:54 UTC
The most interesting thing... EM hasn't spoken to Abe yet.
That may really be telling.

Head Coach Eric Mangini Announces 2006 Coaching Staff, 2.20

Opening Statements…

Ron Colangelo…

Good afternoon, everyone. Thanks for joining us on our call today with head coach Eric
Mangini. Just to let you know, everyone was sent the press release today via email so
please check your emails, and after the call later this afternoon we will email you a
transcript from the call. So at this time what I'd like to do is turn it over to our head
coach Eric Mangini.

Eric Mangini…

I wanted to thank everybody. I know this was a long process, but there were a lot of guys
that I wanted to interview, and I think we've put together a good staff. The whole
process took a little bit longer, and I just wanted to thank you guys for your patience.
Any questions that you guys have I'm open to now.

On if there’s a tight end coach…

What we're going to do with the tight ends is that's going to be a combination of Mike
Devlin and Richie Anderson. Mike will handle the running game part of the tight end
position and Richie will handle the passing game part.

On his thought process when hiring offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer…

Brian is a guy that I didn't know a lot about going into this process. When I looked for
an offensive coordinator, he came with really highly regard around the league. When I sat
down with Brian, I was impressed with his intelligence. I think he's innovative given
where he's come from, from working with quarterbacks in San Diego. He transferred to
Florida so he could learn more about Spurrier's system. That's the kind of guy he is.
He's always sought out knowledge. He comes from a great football background. I'm really
impressed after meeting with Brian and spending time with him.

On modeling his offense after Spurrier’s system...

What I was talking about with Spurrier's system, it's just kind of the type of guy that
Brian is. Brian is a guy who wanted to learn that system. He's a young guy. His system
will be more more on the lines with what he's done in the past at the places that he's
been. We're going to follow the same philosophy and just try to do the best thing to give
us a chance to win every Sunday.

On his offense…

Like I said before, there's really not going to be one defining element of this offense or
this defense. We're going to try to do whatever we can to beat the opponent on that
Sunday. I think it's something that will change depending on who our opponent is and what
our approach is to beat them.

On Curtis Martin’s role next season…

Curtis is a great player, a great competitor, and Curtis is going to be in the competition
for the RB spot.

On his reaction to that perception that people may have with a young staff…

When I was putting together the coaching staff, what I was looking at is trying to get
smart, hard­working, innovative guys that complement each other that would work well in
the room as planned, so for me it wasn't about evaluating age; it was about evaluating the
coaches on their merits. I think we've got a great group of coaches that are going to do
a good job.

On his value in years of experience…

I tried to hire the best available coaches, and I think that's what I did. I think I've
got a great staff, a great mixture of older guys, younger guys that complement each other
well.

On running a phase 3­4 defense…

It's going to be whatever gives us the best chance to win on Sunday.

On what he thinks of his personnel…

Like I said, we're going to evaluate everything and we're going to do the thing that gives
us the best chance to win.

On Chad Pennington’s status…

Chad's status with the Jets is unchanged.

On making Bob Sutton the defensive coordinator…

I've gotten to know him over the years, and he's a guy that is known as an excellent
football coach. I really like him as a teacher. He's got a tremendous amount of
experience, with both professional football and college football. He put together the
longest winning streak in Army history in 50 years. He's been a good football coach for a
long time. I can't say enough about Bob.

On having a chance to talk with Chad Pennington…

I have had a chance to sit down with Chad. We've had some great discussions. Chad's
status is unchanged. He's a great competitor, a great person.

On what an “unchanged status” means…

I don't know what there is to elaborate on.

On evaluating Chad Pennington…

Since we had the coaching staff in place, we've had some really good staff meetings, we've
given and taken great ideas, and at this point we're evaluating personnel and we're
continuing to evaluate our personnel, not just at the QB position but every position, and
we're going to try to complement the guys we have here with the draft and free agency.
That's what we're working on currently.

On Jay Fiedler being the starting quarterback…

Mike (Tannenbaum) and I are in the process of working through all personnel. As soon as
we have any decisions regarding personnel or anything else, we'll get that to you as
quickly as we can.

On when Chad Pennington will throw competitively…

Chad is in the rehab process and that's what he's working on, working as hard as he can to
get better. He's taking it day­to­day, and that's his current status. He's working as
hard as he can to get back as quickly as possible.

On a timetable for Pennington’s throwing…

Chad is taking his rehab day­to­day, working as hard as he can at it, and as soon as he
can get in a position to do anything more, that's when that will take place.

On the starting QB…

You know, I think, like I said, with all of our personnel, we're evaluating as we go.
That's a hypothetical question that at this point that I can't answer.

On negotiations between Mike Tannenbaum and Chad Pennington’s agent…

As I've said before, contracts are something that we don't discuss publicly.

On Terry Bradway’s role in the organization…

Terry Bradway, I can't say enough about Terry; I can't thank him enough for bringing me
here. He's a tremendous asset to the organization, and he's working along with Mike and I
to help us through this process, and he's been great. I think Terry's role is continuing
to evolve and he's doing whatever he can to help us win.

On what Bryan Cox will bring to the defensive unit…

I really had the pleasure of coaching Bryan Cox and I've been friends with him for a long
time. I think he was a tremendous player, and he's a great person. I think he's going to
be an outstanding coach. I think this is an excellent opportunity for him, an excellent
opportunity for us. Brian is going to be a real asset to the staff.

On Special Teams Coordinator, Mike Westhoff...

I was able to sit down with Mike and spend a lot of time with him. I think as a
competitor, playing against Mike's special teams, they've always been outstanding, always
been well­coached. He's been successful for a long time. I'm really happy he's here. I
think that he's done a great job and he's going to continue to do a great job, and it does
provide some continuity.

On franchising John Abraham…

Like I said before, we're working through all the personnel decisions today and tomorrow.
It's an ongoing process, and as soon as I have anything for you, I will get it to you as
quickly as possible.

On waiting until Thursday to announce Abraham’s status…

I think that over the next couple days, as soon as we come to the decisions, we're going
to get them out to you right away.

On the strength program…

I have a ton of respect for Markus Paul. I've worked with Markus Paul. I know that this
system works. This system has six Super Bowl rings behind it. It's a proven system, and
I believe in it 100 percent. I believe in Markus Paul 100 percent, so I have nothing but
absolute faith that that's going to continue to prove the results that it's had
historically.

On Abraham being on the team next year…

John Abraham is an excellent player and a good person and a very good competitor, and I
know that he's committed to winning and I'm committed to winning. I look forward to
working with John.

On his coaching style…

I think that it's a style that is going to try to do the things that I relied on before. I
believe that you need to have the ability to attack weaknesses, take away strengths and
maximize the personnel that you have on your team. I think that flexibility is important.

On his thought about moving forward…

These are all things that we're working on, the salary cap. All this is a process. All
the different areas of the team are things that we're working on, and I'm very comfortable
with where we are. I think that systematically we're going to keep moving forward in all
those areas.

On the rebuilding taking one or two years…

Like I said before, I think all of this is a process. I'm looking for constant
improvement, and that's how I'm going to evaluate the team is constantly improving.

On watching QBs closely at the combine…

I've got to tell you at the combine I'm going to be watching every position I can.

On Chad Pennington’s playing ability…

Like I said, I've competed against Chad. I know the things that he's capable of doing. I
know the type of person he is and the commitment he has to get better and consistently
improve, and I respect that. I respect Chad as much as I can respect any player. I'm
excited to work with Chad.

On Chad Pennington being the starting QB…

I don't know how many ways that I can say this, but everybody here is going to compete for
a starting spot. They're going to compete for lots of spots. I'm going to play the best
players. That's what I believe in.

On Brooks Bollinger…

I think Brooks is a tough player, and I'm excited to work with him, too. He's another guy
that is in the mixture, and we're going to play the best players. I think that everybody
is in the competition for every starting job. Everybody is in the competition to make the
roster. That's how we view it philosophically.

On his first meeting with Chad Pennington…

Chad and I have visited on more than one occasion, and we've talked several times, and I
enjoy talking to Chad.

On what they talked about…

Chad and I have talked about a lot of different issues, and my philosophy with each
position is really the same.

On the press speaking with coaching assistants…

We just got the staff in place. That policy is something that we're working on. Like I
said before, I want to work with you guys as much as possible, and as soon as I know
something there, I'll let you know.

On having talked to John Abraham…

I have not talked to John Abraham, no.

On the salary cap being an issue…

Like I said, all the areas are areas that we're working on. I'm very comfortable with
where we are. I'm very comfortable with the approach that we're taking. It's a
systematic approach that we're going to stay with.

On the defense…

I think that, like I said before, we're going to evaluate what our strengths are in terms
of the personnel that we have, the personnel that we bring in. Whether it's 3­4, 4­3 or
any of those other issues, we're just going to do whatever is the best to beat the
opponent on Sunday.

On Ty Law…

He's a guy that I've worked with a long time. He's a guy that I respect, and with all the
other personnel discussions that we've had and the things you've asked about, we'll have
some more information, and as soon as we do, we'll get it to you.

On who will call the defensive plays…

Bob Sutton will call the defensive plays.

On Mike Sherman turning down the offensive coordinator position…

Any of the coaching decisions that we've made, I've made personally. I made the decision
to hire Brian, and I think that, like I said before, Brian is a great talent and he's
smart. I'm very happy that Brian is here. Look, this has all been ­­ there's been a lot
of coaches come through here. The process has been consistent. I really don't want to
talk about those types of issues.

On former LB Bryan Cox coaching the defensive line…

I think that Bryan is a guy that can add value to the linebacker spot. I think he can add
value to the defensive line spot. He's going to add value to the defensive staff whatever
role he's in, and it was something I wanted to do to help Bryan expand as a coach, and I
think that in all areas of the defense he'll be an asset to us.

On Richie Anderson joining the staff…

Richie is another guy that I think is going to be an outstanding coach. With regard to
Richie or Sam Gash or Bryan Cox, we added Rick Lyle, as well, he's going to be working
with strength and conditioning and we added Jerome Henderson with player programs. All
these are guys that I've worked with, I have a lot of respect for, and I think are going
to really add value to the staff, both through their experience as players and the
intangibles they bring, so I'm excited about all those guys.

On being in the playoffs next year…

Look, I've said it before. We're going to evaluate everything based on progress and do
everything we can to make sure we're making progress.

On his first month as a Head Coach…

It's been extremely busy. I know I said in my press conference I'd be working night and
day, and that's been literally the case. We've been working hard to get things moving in
the right direction, and I feel that that's where we're headed. There are a lot of good
people here that have been extremely helpful, and I've been able to rely on them. I guess
busy would be the key word.

On who’s traveling to the combine…

All the coaches will be at the combine and the normal group of scouts and the standard
people, yes.

On where Jay Fiedler is rehabbing…

Jay is rehabbing at the complex, yes.

On his status…

He's just like everybody else. He's working as hard as he can to get back.

On if there’s a meeting between Mike Tannenbaum and Chad Pennington’s agent…

That's one of those things, one of those questions you'd have to ask Mike
Glenn Greenstein
2006-02-21 13:35:34 UTC
"buRford" <***@bur.ford.com> wrote in message news:***@4ax.com...
<Snip>

I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't like many of the answers or
actually non answers he gave. What was the point of holding this conference?
So EM can show how deft he is at dancing around questions? We are going to
find out a whole lot about him in the next two weeks if Pennington is cut
(status has not changed) and if Abe is franchised (I look forward to working
with John) which means he will be traded. Abe will sign the tender this time
as a poison pill to make it more difficult for the Jets to trade him and try
to force a release.
John C (tx)
2006-02-21 14:07:27 UTC
Glenn you sound like Steve Serby & company : )

At the end of teh day if he does Cleveland Belichik everyone will say
he's a jerk. If he does what BB did in NY & NE.......
Glenn Greenstein
2006-02-21 16:55:41 UTC
Post by John C (tx)
Glenn you sound like Steve Serby & company : )
At the end of teh day if he does Cleveland Belichik everyone will say
he's a jerk. If he does what BB did in NY & NE.......
This guy is not BB. He is emulating what BB did with Tom Brady and guess
what? We don't have a Tom Brady on this team, we don't even have what Chad
was two years ago and he is going to be on the wrong side of thirty real
soon. BB assembled a staff in NE with Weiss and Crenel as his coordinators.
We have two guys who are very young and very raw. Actually saying they are
raw may be giving them too much credit.
Johnny Morongo
2006-02-21 17:56:55 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
Post by John C (tx)
Glenn you sound like Steve Serby & company : )
At the end of teh day if he does Cleveland Belichik everyone will say
he's a jerk. If he does what BB did in NY & NE.......
This guy is not BB. He is emulating what BB did with Tom Brady and guess
what? We don't have a Tom Brady on this team, we don't even have what Chad
was two years ago and he is going to be on the wrong side of thirty real
soon. BB assembled a staff in NE with Weiss and Crenel as his coordinators.
We have two guys who are very young and very raw. Actually saying they are
raw may be giving them too much credit.
Relax, Glenn. What have they shown us yet, other than they have added
some younger, on the rise coaches? Certainly they haven't gone
overboard here.
The so called "person(s) close to the situation" that the press keeps
recycling through haven't come up with anything of note, it's obvious
that they're still running a tight ship, so none of us knows, beyond
guessing, what's really up. You're way early in being uptight about
their rawness, IMHO.

Johnny
John C (tx)
2006-02-21 20:36:31 UTC
Glenn, never said he was BB my point is if he wins you will forget.
From my perspective I am happy. I have seen the Norv Turners,
Wannestedts, Capers-- you want me to go on-- get jobs. I have seen
teams who viewed some ceaseless self-promoters like Marriucci get huge
contracts & regret it.

Maybe, Mangini & a bunch of young, hardworking, but experienced coaches
can make a difference. Retreads are boring.

As for his media skills, maybe he is telling his players, if you don't
hear it from me, it doesn't mean shit.
Ass Clown
2006-02-21 22:59:57 UTC
Brooks Bollinger may very well be a Tom Brady with a decent coaching staff.
Speaking of the coaching staff BB took to NE, it was Bill Parcell's coaching
staff. No thought involved there...
Tutor
2006-02-22 16:22:13 UTC
Post by Ass Clown
Brooks Bollinger may very well be a Tom Brady with a decent coaching staff.
Not a chance n hell, although I admire your overboad wishful
thinking. Bolli doesn't have the physical attributes or instincts
to be a succesful strater in the NFL.

Harlan Lachman
2006-02-21 16:17:11 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
<Snip>
I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't like many of the answers or
actually non answers he gave. What was the point of holding this conference?
So EM can show how deft he is at dancing around questions? We are going to
find out a whole lot about him in the next two weeks if Pennington is cut
(status has not changed) and if Abe is franchised (I look forward to working
with John) which means he will be traded. Abe will sign the tender this time
as a poison pill to make it more difficult for the Jets to trade him and try
to force a release.
Glenn, I don't understand how you can blame him for the stupidity of the
NY media and their questions.

He told us he's got a staff. He restated his philosophy. He explained
what staff will do and why some guys were hired (Cox and Anderson). He
explained his consensus approach. He proved he means it (all the coaches
going to the combine). He told us all players must compete for positions
and that every position is subject to upgrade in FA or the draft.

Why these morons think they are entitled to information that might limit
our negotiating abilities with players is beyond me. Until the Jets have
made a decision on a player and told the player (or his agent) why
should our team tip its hand.

It will be easier to trade JA for value if teams think we might keep
him. Chad might be more willing to reduce his salary if he thinks he
might be cut. Fiedler may be better than anyone on the market so why
make a decision before the draft, FA, and Chad play out.

For the first time in a long time, I am excited that our team is being
run as a business and not as fodder for these self appointed experts.

To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Glenn Greenstein
2006-02-21 16:51:54 UTC
Post by Harlan Lachman
Post by Glenn Greenstein
[...]
Harlan, IMO, we are screwed going into this season. We have a bunch of
coaches that have no experience. You think they are not going to have
growing pains? I don't need to know EM's feelings on the individules to know
this. BB had an experienced CS from day 1, we have an experiment. I would
have liked to know what his feelings were on Chad, and how far along he is,
not "Since we had the coaching staff in place, we've had some really good
staff meetings, we've
given and taken great ideas, and at this point we're evaluating personnel
and we're
continuing to evaluate our personnel, not just at the QB position but every
position, and
we're going to try to complement the guys we have here with the draft and
free agency.
That's what we're working on currently."
If he is trying to compliment the guys he has, doesn't this mean he has a
feeling if Chad is going to be here come training camp? Could he have not
said, we are in a difficult cap situation and we need to take care of that
in order to go forward with the team? That at least would have been honest.

I could have figured everything he said out myself. Hey, he could have said"
Chad is still rehabing and has not started to throw so I am not able to go
on anything except what we have on film". This is a bunch of horseshit.
These press conf. are for the fans as much as the media. You want
covertness, go root for Microsoft. I don't see how this tips our hand as to
what we do in the draft or through a trade. Everyone knows he is lookiong at
each position and there is no favs. at the moment. He has told us nothing at
a time that I at least see a season possibly worse than the one we just went
through. Just giving us a little bit of something would have been something.
And as for JA, come on. With the cap situation and his agent already being
told he will be franchised, is there any doubt he is going to be traded? If
we wanted to keep him, he'd have a new contract. As far as Chad, his agent
has already reportedly laughed off the offer. He is not going to cave and
Chad will be released. He can't be traded because of his contract. All
anyone wanted to know is what EM thinks of Chad (Is he the #1 going into
camp, is he close to throwing? What does the medical staff think?). There is
no hurting our position as far as value because Chad only has value to the
Jets as Brees only has value to the Chargers and R. Williams only has value
to the Fins. They are all in the same boat. He's treating the fans like a
bunch of sheep.
Post by Harlan Lachman
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
s***@netscape.net
2006-02-21 17:58:23 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
I could have figured everything he said out myself. Hey, he could have said"
Chad is still rehabing and has not started to throw so I am not able to go
on anything except what we have on film". This is a bunch of horseshit.
These press conf. are for the fans as much as the media. You want
covertness, go root for Microsoft.
This sounds exactly like a Belichick press conference!
If Mangini masters the rest of the Head Coach's responsibilities this
well, he'll be in good shape.
(Of course, the press conferences are the easy part)
Post by Glenn Greenstein
He's treating the fans like a
bunch of sheep.
Yup - those comments came out of Cleveland when BB was there, and out
of New England in the early BB years.
You'll have to learn to get used to this style. If may not be
media-friendly, but once you see it enough, it's not a real problem -
just different.

Should we start calling Eric "Very little Bill" or something?
Glenn Greenstein
2006-02-21 18:57:16 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
He's treating the fans like a
bunch of sheep.
Yup - those comments came out of Cleveland when BB was there, and out
of New England in the early BB years.
You'll have to learn to get used to this style. If may not be
media-friendly, but once you see it enough, it's not a real problem -
just different.
Should we start calling Eric "Very little Bill" or something?
If he does not have the same success as BB, you can probably call him a
mistake. BB gets away with this due to the sucess he has had. EM needs to
earn this first. SO far, EM has not even selected a good CS. Most of them ar
not much older than the players. Richie Anderson (maybe he can teach them to
fumble), Rick Lyle (maybe he can teach the players how to suck), Brian
Cox(OK guys, wheb the fans boo, you should flip them off with your elbows
locked), and Corwin Brown (I don't even know what to say about this guy). I
have as much experience coaching as this bunch does.
s***@netscape.net
2006-02-21 19:40:09 UTC
SO far, EM has not even selected a good CS. Most of them are
not much older than the players.
But then, neither are Mangibaum and Tannini.
Galen Boyer
2006-02-21 23:27:02 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
BB gets away with this due to the sucess he has had.
Exactly right. BB is a bastard when his team loses. Really short terse
sentences. No wonder they hated him in Cleveland. He lost alot and
then treated the media with disdain.
Galen Boyer
Johnny Morongo
2006-02-21 18:05:03 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
Post by Harlan Lachman
--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
I still don't see, Glenn, what you're so agitated about. Did you really

Breathe.
Glenn Greenstein
2006-02-21 19:00:25 UTC
Post by Johnny Morongo
Post by Glenn Greenstein
Post by Harlan Lachman
--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
I still don't see, Glenn, what you're so agitated about. Did you really
expect Em to be anything but tight-lipped in his public presentations?
There will be plenty of time to become agitated if the season unfolds as
you fear. It's far too early for me.
Breathe.
You know what I see, I see a coach who will not be able to attract FA's, I
see a coach who is to young to hire an OC like Martz. Sorry, I'm not
drinking the kool aid just yet.
Ass Clown
Glenn Greenstein
AllYou!
2006-02-21 20:00:09 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
Post by Harlan Lachman
Post by Glenn Greenstein
[...]
On the one hand, you complain because he gave you nothing, but on the
other, the things you're saying he should've said are also so obvious
that they're nothing as well. EM is not gonna give any insight into how
any player, especially the QB, is doing with injuries, and he's not
gonna give any insight into what he may be looking for in the draft.
The rest is obvious. Duh!
Johnny Morongo
2006-02-21 17:59:27 UTC
Post by Harlan Lachman
Post by Glenn Greenstein
[...]
Gotta agree with everything you say here, Harlan. We have to get Glenn
to breath.
buRford
2006-02-21 16:24:12 UTC
Post by Glenn Greenstein
<Snip>
I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't like many of the answers or
actually non answers he gave. What was the point of holding this conference?
So EM can show how deft he is at dancing around questions? We are going to
find out a whole lot about him in the next two weeks if Pennington is cut
(status has not changed) and if Abe is franchised (I look forward to working
with John) which means he will be traded. Abe will sign the tender this time
as a poison pill to make it more difficult for the Jets to trade him and try
to force a release.
Glenn, seriously, what could he possibly have to say right now?
He's not going to negotiate in the press, and he still has tons of player evaluations.
Also, he's not going to talk about Cutler, nor our drafting strategy, etc.
All he can say, is that the staff is completed, and they're continuing to work.
Other than that, all he can do is say how great everyone is, and no comment.

As you said, we're going to find out about Tanngini by their actions...